Windows xml event log (evtx)
On Windows the event logs can be managed with "Event Viewer" (eventvwr.msc) or "Windows Events Command Line Utility" (wevtutil.exe). Event Viewer can represent the EVTX files in both "general view" (or formatted view) and "details view" (which has both a "friendly view" and "XML view"). Note that the formatted view can hide significant event data that is stored in the event record and can be seen in the detailed view.
If you export an event log from Event Viewer additional "display information" can be exported. This display information is stored in a corresponding file named:
Where LCID is the "locale identifier" 1.
- Mute Sysmon - Silence Sysmon via event manifest tampering, by SecurityJosh, April 23, 2020
- EventLog Remoting Protocol Version 6.0 Specification, by Microsoft
- Simple BinXml Example, by Microsoft
- Introducing the Microsoft Vista Event Log File Format, by Andreas Schuster, in 2007
- Windows XML Event Log (EVTX) format, by the libevtx project