Steganography is a science that pertains to the art of concealing data in a communication in such a way that only the sender and receiver know of its existance and method of access. The platform used for transmission can be anything from a paper document to a digital file. Additionally, it is more common than not to encrypt the hidden data whenever possible such as with digital files or images. The detection of steganographically encoded packages is called steganalysis.
Algorithms and Tools
- StegoArchive.com An excellent resource for freeware/shareware steganography application downloads.
- Digital Invisible Ink Toolkit is a Java steanography tool that hides any file in a JPEG.
- Hide In Picture is an open source stegnographic tool.
- M5, by Andreas Westfeld, is both a steganographic tool and algorithm. It hides information in JPEGs. An attack was developed by Jessica Fridrich, Miroslav Goljan, and Dorin Hogea.
- Publimark hides text in audio files.
- DeepSound is a Windows tool that hides data in audio files